The Holiday Season is Upon Us: Homemade Gifts and For Lips

Image may contain: 2 people, including Karen L Palmen, people smilingAs the snow flurries flip, twinkle, and waft gently to the ground, I find myself thinking of my family and loved ones, the one's I've lost and the family I still have left. I reminisce and hear the laughter of my dear sister (1964-2013); I remember us as young girls eating cookies and giggling endlessly as we haphazardly wrapped gifts we either made or that our parents bought  for our other siblings and let us say they were gifts from us. We were two peas in a pod. Just six months apart (I was adopted), we were the best of friends. As this holiday season ramps up, I rejoice in my memories, but I miss her so much.  Forty-nine is a young age to pass from this world 💔, but I was blessed to have the 49 years I was able to spend with her beautiful spirit.

Image may contain: 2 people, child and babyWith a joyous heart, in my dear sister's memory, I make gifts. Not the Shrinky Dink art I used to do when we were 5, but non-toxic homemade gifts that my colleagues, friends and family can make use of everyday. I believe in gifts with a purpose. I also believe in gifts from the HEART 💖 and not from the wallet.

So, here's this year's plan Stan -  I am going to make personal care gifts. As it is winter here in Minnesota and it's also cold; my plan is to make something soothing and moisturizing . Our winters are so long, I also thought that I would make something that will remind people of spring.

During a Minnesota winter, the air is crisp and dry. Oh sure, in the beginning and the end of the season you will get your wet, gloppy snowstorms where everything feels heavy, saturated and dank. But, for the most part, whether we are inside or out, we struggle to keep all exposed body part: lips, hands and face from chapping, cracking and splitting open. My lips are always chapped and in need of moisturizing lip balm. As I look around at my colleagues, and I get concerned - are their lips going to peel off? And that was when I got my "AH-HA!" moment. What better gift that the gift of empathy and compassion - Palmen's Anti-Chap Lip Balm. Simple gift, simple ingredients, simply use and feel the relief of lips that are properly moisturized and able to withstand these vile Minnesota winters. For this recipe, I use 5 simple ingredients I already have in my home: coconut oil, beeswax, shea butter, olive oil and essential oil.


This recipe will prove to bring relief and joy to you and your loved ones over the holidays.

As with my other personal care products, these recipes are basic. You only need a few ingredients and your choice of essential oil, and again I suggest the addition of Tea Tree oil for it's healing properties (but don't swallow it).


Palmen's Anti-Chap Lip Balm


Equipment:

A double boiler or heat resistant glass bowl and a heavy bottom pan
A wooden spoon
Lip Balm Containers:  I use these -   "Beauticom Round Clear Jars"
Metal funnel (or some other tool)for pouring

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons of Coconut Oil
3 tablespoons of Shea Butter
3 Tablespoons + 1 teaspoon of Beeswax pellets
1 tablespoon of Olive Oil
25-40 drops of essential oil
10 drops of Tea Tree oil (Optional)

Directions: 

Depending on the size of your vessels, this  recipe will fill between 15-18 lip balm containers.

  1. Put an inch of water in the bottom of the double boiler or heavy bottom pan and bring it to a boil.
  2. Place the top of the boiler over the bottom or place the glass bowl in the water.
  3. In the double boiler or glass bowl melt the coconut oil, shea better and beeswax pellets STIRRING CONSTANTLY.
  4. When the ingredients are melted, take the boiler or pan off the heat. Keep the on top of the water.
  5. Stir in the olive oil, essential oil and the optional tea tree oil.
  6. Once the lip balm is blended and slightly cool, use the metal funnel to help you accurately pour the balm into the containers. Each container will hold about 1/6 of an ounce
  7. With the lid off the containers, let the balm cool for several hours to harden. It will harden at room temperature, but you can also put it in the refrigerator for faster solidification.
  8. Use as you would any lip balm.
I'd like to grow my readership. If you enjoyed this blog post, add a comment and share it with a friend. 😀 Please visit, subscribe and like my YouTube channel Kickin' it with Karen: Beyond Sauerkraut to find more things I've made.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Thanksgiving Tradition - Collard Greens and Deep Fried Turkey

Apple Jalapeño Sauerkraut

Homemade Cucumber Mint Deodorant