Gluten Free Oatmeal Cookies with Duck Egg - GF Oatmeal Cookie #1


Hey folks, feel free to comment. What would you like to see me do? What are you interested in reading about?

If you have been following my posts, you know that I am super wheat sensitive (not gluten - just wheat) and I have a scary allergy to chicken eggs; hence, I use DUCK eggs. Remember, a duck isn't a chicken. The Healthy Home Economist  explains the difference and the benefits of duck over chicken eggs much better than I could. The following recipe is my attempt to reconcile my desire for sweet baked goods and the very real danger eating wheat and chicken eggs poses for me. I hope this recipe benefits someone out there who is in my same position.
C
I have been tinkering with this recipe and although it is good, it's not quite there. Gluten Free cookies are tricky. Doable but tricky. This is my current version. We will call it GF Oatmeal Cookie #1. Just like I went through 9 versions of my SAUSAGE recipe to come up with Palmen Sausage #9, I am sure I will go through iterations of this same cookie recipe until I get it just right.

Most recipes for oatmeal cookies call for baking powder and baking soda. Well, I just found that that made a really cakey cookie. If I wanted cake, I would make cake. I want an ooey gooey melt in your mouth cookie. So, that is what I am aiming for. But, working with Gluten Free flour, even one as good as Cup4Cup, it is difficult to get that buttery sweet and salty melt in your mouth feel and flavor.


Some would say, "Just add more butter". Well, sometimes what that means is the cookie gives up all shape and instead of having 12 cookies, you end up with 1 big flat mess. Others say, "Use margarine". Sure, it makes the cookies spread better, but...WHAT! NO! RUN! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES! SCARY! NO! NO! NO! NO! Margarine has a horrible history. It was touted as the heart - healthy butter alternative but was actually loaded with trans fats and is decidedly worse for you than butter ("Margarine or Butter"). All in all, I am sure this recipe's success  has everything to do with the ratio of flour to BUTTER.

Now, look. I am not a baker by any means. I haven't been able to eat baked goods in years because of my allergies. But, all the gluten free cookie recipes out there that I have tried have just not had the mouth feel or the perfect balance between gooey and crunch. So, as with most of my creations, "Necessity is the mother of invention" (Plato).

This recipe is easy. Cream the butter, eggs, sugar and vanilla. Sift (optional) in the GF flour, nutmeg and salt, stir in the oats. Bake and eat. That's it!

                                               GF Oatmeal Cookie #1:

1 1/2 stick butter
1 BIG duck egg
1  cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup Gluten free flour
1 1/2 Cup Gluten free Oats
1/2 tsp Fresh grated nut
1 tsp vanilla

Equipment:

A large cookie sheet
A sheet of parchment paper
A wooden spoon or a mixer
A mixing bowl
A cookie cooling rack

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375*
As it says above, cream all the wet ingredients and the sugar together until it has a creamy peanut butter consistency.
Sift or DUMP in the flour and mix until it is well blended and has a play dough consistency.
Fold in the oatmeal so that it is evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough.
Place a piece of parchment paper on the cookie sheet (big enough to
Roll dough into 2 inch balls and place on cookie sheet about an inch apart.
Flatten cookie dough balls onto the sheet - it seems you must flatten with GF flour.
Bake on 375* for 8-12 minutes until slightly browned on top.

When they are done baking put the cookies on a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before diving in.
EAT!

NOTE: I have found that since GF Oatmeal Cookie #1  is not necessarily ooey gooey, it is best dunked in coffee or milk  and enjoyed mid-morning.

I hope you try this recipe. Thank you for stopping and reading this blog.

I'd like to grow my readership. If you enjoyed this blog post, add a comment and share it with a friend. šŸ˜€ Please visit, subscribe and like my YouTube channel "Kickin' it with Karen: Beyond Sauerkraut" to find more things I've made.

Sources: 

"Margarine or Butter?" The American Nutrition Association. Vol. 38, No. 2  http://americannutritionassociation.org/newsletter/margarine-or-butter

Pope, Sarah. “Duck Eggs: Less Allergenic and More Nutritious - Healthy Home Economist.” The Healthy Home Economist, Autus Media LLC, 30 Aug. 2018, www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/duck-eggs-less-allergenic-more-nutritious/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Our Thanksgiving Tradition - Collard Greens and Deep Fried Turkey

Apple JalapeƱo Sauerkraut

The Holiday Season is Upon Us: Homemade Gifts and For Lips